|My basket of Biome goodies|
We’re set for bulk, refillable foods now, but I’ve struggled to find somewhere I could fill my own jars with the ingredients to make the DIY beauty product recipes I’ve found.
So I was excited to be invited to check out the new Naked Beauty Bar at Biome’s Balmoral store in Brisbane. This is the first of their eco-friendly stores to include a dedicated refill station, along with recipes and pre-made, pre-filled jars. No plastic in sight either!
|No jars of your own? Great little reusable jars with DIY ingredients|
|Jars and jars of organic goodness!|
|Liquid ingredients ready to pour – I tried the avocado oil|
I must say, my DIY body butter was quite the success. It’s so fluffy and moisturising, and a little bit really does go a long way.
The ratio is half butter – I used shea butter – and half oil – I used a combo on coconut oil and avocado oil.
|Body butter ingredients|
1/2 cup shea butter
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
Essential oils (optional – I decided to try
my first batch without)
Metal or glass bowl
Saucepan and shallow amount of water
Hand-beaters or a stand mixer
Jar or tin to store your body butter
- Slowly melt shea butter and coconut oil in a bowl on top of a saucepan with simmering water (double boiler).
- Remove from the heat and let it cool for about 30 minutes or until cold enough to put in the freezer.
- Stir in the avocado oil and add essential oils if you wish.
- Place oil mixture in the freezer for about 20 minutes, or until partially solid again.
Oils will solidify in the freezer again – this is a must!
- Once solidified (you should be able to press a finger in and make a dent) grab out your mixers and whip for about 10 minutes until you have a whipped cream consistency. The mix should stand up on the beaters.
- Use a spatula to lightly scoop your body butter into your storage container of choice – I chose to store mine in a metal tin with a lid, and a small glass jar for on-the-go!
|Voila! Body butter – my on-the-go version|
A little bit really does go a long way with this one. I’ll definitely be making it again!